Monday, December 5, 2011

Here Comes Santa Claus....

We've started what is hopefully a wonderful tradition with dear friends of ours.   This is the 2nd year we were lucky enough to bring not just Nolan, but Buckley as well to get pictures taken with Santa.  AND we are joined once again by Nolan's best bud and Buckley's girlfriend!  (Seriously, you've should've seen the tail wag and heard the excited whine as Buckley spotted his best girl strutting up to the door of the vet clinic)   He could barely contain himself.   Fortunately for our family, a local vet clinic opens the doors to the public for pictures with Santa for children and pets.  How delightful that we get to take the brothers in for pics with Santa together.   :)   The best part is that there is little to no wait and no overwhelming crowd to battle.  The owner of the clinic himself dresses up as as Santa, his children are his little elves, and his wife snaps the pictures.  They also let us take our own pictures, too.      Last year we were joined by Nolan's almost birthday twin (my friend and I were due one day apart, but I went a few days early and she went a few days late and the boys are now exactly a week apart).   Here's last year's picture:


The boys are nearly oblivious of the man in red.  And so sweet in their holiday garb.  

After our Easter Bunny debacle,


I decided Nolan was going to need a little more preparation this year.    So all week long we talked about Santa, read stories about Santa (petting the picture and saying "Niiiice Santa!"), and tried to find shows about Santa.  I gave him a stuffed reindeer to snuggle with and we asked him what presents he wanted Santa to bring.   The morning of Santa pics we even talked about how Buckley was excited to go see Santa, too.  

On the drive to the vet's clinic, I told Joe "We're taking this picture no matter what, right?  Even if he loses it."  (Joe isn't the biggest fan of taking a picture for the sake of having the picture so I wasn't sure what would happen if it didn't go well)   "No problem, of course" was the response.  Nolan was in great spirits waiting for our turn to go in and see the kind-eyed Santa saying "Ho, ho, ho!" on the other side of the door.  He and his buddy watched squirrels steal bird seed from the feeder outside the window.  


Finally, it was the moment I had been preparing the little guy for.  We walked into the small room where they set up a tree and presents and were greeted by the sweet family who organizes this.   There sat Santa with his soft voice welcoming us.   We got Buckley set up first for the picture and then I looked at Joe who was holding Nolan.   This was it, ready or not Nolan.   Joe handed him over to the jolly man in red who got Nolan settled on his knee.   Holding my breath, I just starting snapping pictures.  Nolan barely paid attention to the Santa, focusing more on all the crazy people saying "Nolan!  Look over here!  Smile!"   He must've thought we were all looney.   But the little guy did great!   I was so proud of him.  



After the picture with Buckley, we took the picture with both boys.   His little buddy had a harder time with it all, but we hope we have many more years for both boys to get those smiles down.   Either way, it's a fun tradition!



Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I've said it before but I can't help but say it again....I love these boys! Love you guys too. xo

    ReplyDelete