The party was scheduled for after the Birthday Boy's nap. This also gave us some time to clean up and get ready. I made Nolan a "small" 7-inch smash cake - chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. Joe said "Let the boy eat some chocolate!" No problem. I made both chocolate and vanilla cupcakes for the guests. I decided to use those monthly pictures I'd been taking of Nolan as decorations to stick in the cupcakes. I also chose some favorites from througout the year. They came out really cute! Since the party was 3-5, I also did a couple of hot appetizers and other snacks - crockpot meatballs(delicious!), Buffalo Chicken Dip (ALWAYS a hit), cheese and crackers, veggies and hummus, some popped kettle corn, and Joe's mom made yummy clam dip with Fritos. It was a pretty decent spread!
I wanted to have our party outside, but right at 3:00 the dark clouds rolled in and the thunder started. It never did rain, but I wasn't going to take the chance! After chatting and mingling for a while, we decided to let Nolan at his cake. While he didn't enjoy his birthday hat, he definitely loved that cake! He made good work of it, too, eating about 1/4 of the cake.
After that, we cleaned him up and attempted having him open his gifts. With all that sugar running through his system, Nolan didn't feel much like sitting down. So I took over that. He got some really neat gifts and we were so thankful for the wonderful things he got.
| I swear he likes it, Ali! We've been practicing. :) |
| Daddy picked this gift out special |
Love it! Good job on that cake, Nolan :) :)
ReplyDelete