He's ready for his day and he didn't need a cup (or 3) of coffee like his "Mum-mum" to make that happen. His daycare provider refers to him as "happy go lucky," but we're the lucky ones. So blessed to have this child who goes with the flow, makes adjustments as needed, and doles out the hugs and kisses when requested.
Just this afternoon, I picked him up from daycare - he was playing with a ride-on car toy. I scooped him up, ultimately pulling him away from this preferred activity. He gave me a hug, said "Awwwwww," then pulled my face towards his, gave me a smooch, and demanded "DOWN!" So sorry I interrupted......
As we start a new school year, and a new daycare, I realize there are so many changes. Nolan is not the 4 month-old infant who began daycare last year. While an infant requires more care, supervision, attention, etc., here is a boy who knows very much what he wants and what he needs while not always being able to communicate that. And I'm not the stressed-out, exhausted, post-partum, ready for someone else to take a turn, mother-of-a-newborn I once was. After nearly 11 weeks at home or on the road this summer visiting friends and family, and making some wonderful life-long memories together the question is....So who is having the separation anxiety here?????? My guess is not the child in the back seat, grinning and ready to see which friends are waiting for him at daycare....
"You are my sunshine,
my only sunshine.
You make me happy
when skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
how much I love you.
Please don't take
my sunshine away."
- Oliver Hood, Jimmie Davis, and many, many others....

He goes with the flow just like his Momma did 30 years ago when I droppd her off with Carol and I cried all the way to KP ...albeit knowing she was with some one who loved her ALMOST as much as I did..
ReplyDeleteLove this entry...such sweetness. xo
ReplyDeleteMom, If I could "Like" your comment, I would. Thanks. LY!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written Annie. I teared up just thinking about the day when Fiona will go to daycare. I miss her even when I am gone for the 4 short hours I am at school. We are so lucky to have our summers off and be with our children. I am grateful for the time I had with her as a newborn. We also sing that song to her though I have to make up other verses because I don't know the rest of the song.
ReplyDelete