It's that time of year again. With the changing of the seasons, the cold nights and warm days, the uncertainty in how to dress as you leave the house each morning, and the loss of more and more daylight comes cold season. Students at school are sneezing and coughing and trying their best to "muffle" like we've taught them into their elbows. Nolan's friends at daycare are all stuffed up with runny noses and tiny coughs themselves. So when 2 teachers and one child who attends daycare all share a small home and lots of snuggles and kisses, it's inevitable that at some point we'll each take our turn.
Nolan's cold started Sunday afternoon. A couple of days later, I started sniffling. Just about every child at Nolan's daycare is suffering from some form of a cold. So he must be hearing lots of sneezes and responses to that. Last night I was giving him his bath. He was sitting back to me, playing with his bath toys while I cleaned him up. Suddenly, I sneezed. Without any hesitation, Nolan turned to look at me and in his toddler garble he said "Bless you!" He smiled at me and went back to playing in the bubbles.
I was astounded. He picks up a lot of things from his experiences at daycare and this is now one of my favorites. Ask Joe - if I sneeze and he fails to respond with the usual "Bless you" he hears it from me! I don't know why, but I consider it to be an important sign of good manners to say this when someone sneezes. You'll catch me saying it to strangers at the grocery store; even from the next aisle over.
So hearing it from my own sweet boy made me pause and enjoy the moment and count my own blessings. I hope you take time to reflect on yours.
Wishing you all health and happiness!
I - too! - am a huge "bless you" fan! Love this post!!!
ReplyDelete