Tuesday night was Nolan's last.bottle.ever. Since his 12 month appointment, we had been taking bottles away one at a time and replacing them with milk sippies. The last to go would be the bedtime bottle - Nolan's most needed, psychologically and emotionally for the three of us! The bedtime bottle was Daddy's time with Nolan to snuggle on the couch and Mommy wasn't sure if the bottle had anything to do with his ability to sleep so well through the night (which, when I think about it logically, I know that's not the case) Over the past couple of weeks, we reduced the amount in the bottle. We had decided we would wait to take it away altogether until school was finally over. Nolan had already been through a couple of changes with daycare the last week of school and we didn't want any more disturbances to occur at the same time. Besides, we weren't sure how he'd react when the bedtime bottle was no more. Well, Tuesday night came and we put that last scoop of formula into the bottle - all 2 oz of it. Needless to say, Nolan sucked it right down in no time. A part of the ritual that used to take 10 minutes, now only took 2. We were off to bed and I couldn't help thinking as I rocked him how that next night would go.
Wednesday night, we got him ready as usual. I had already cleaned and put away the bottle warmer, hiding any evidence of its existence. He didn't even glance at the bare spot on the counter it used to occupy as we walked through the kitchen. Instead of sitting on the couch for that bottle with Daddy, the three of us cuddled up for his favorite bedtime story Pajama Time! by Sandra Boynton. He sucked on one of his puppies and listened without any fuss or any search for his usual bottle. After the story was over - "Shhhhhh! Good night! Sleep Tight!" - we gave kisses good night to Daddy, waved na-nights to the dog, and Nolan walked all by himself with puppy in hand down the short hallway to his room. He turned around and smiled at me as I followed him, and he pushed open the door to his room. I stood in the doorway and watched him toddle over to the rocking chair. He looked at me and patted the seat of the chair, indicating to me to take my usual spot. I sat down and scooped that big boy up. We said our prayers and I thanked God for such a sweet, happy, easy-going, and special little boy. I sang the usual "Dream a Little Dream," and he squirmed around in my arms towards the end, letting me know he doesn't need to be rocked completely to sleep anymore and that he was ready to call it a night! (I like to drag out our snuggle time by humming the end of the song for a while) :) With one last "I love you" and a few more kisses on the forehead, I put him in his crib, turned off his nightlight, and walked out. I can hardly believe sometimes how big he's getting; how much he's grown in just these past (almost) 14 months. We are so blessed and we remind ourselves of this everyday. It might not always be this easy, but for now we'll enjoy it while it lasts.
That is so sweet! I love it! He is such a wonderful boy. I am very lucky to have him in my care during the week! He also has great parents! -:)
ReplyDeleteKelly