Saturday, June 18, 2011

We Have a Walker!

Last Sunday it dawned upon me that Nolan was gaining more confidence and taking more steps.   He was up to 8-10 steps as he moved from the couch to the Leap Frog Learning Table, his walking toy to the kitchen chair, his Mega Blocks truck to my arms.   I picked him up from daycare on Monday and said "Did he try walking at all today?"  The provider looked at me funny and said "He walked back and forth across this living room all day!"   Sure enough, we got home and you could see the difference.   He was walking farther with less falls.   By mid-week, he was able to pivot around and go in the other direction and get up from the floor into a standing position and take off!   I started to wonder "When is a child officially a 'walker'?"  I guess I don't really need to spend any more time wondering because Nolan is definitely walking now.   At times, it seems he is running!

And it's hard to try to draw a line in the sand trying to decide "When did he learn to walk?"  I guess it begins when they take that first unassisted step (at a funeral home in the direction of a complete stranger).   The learning experience begins then and continues even after the child is toddling around the kitchen barefooted as his mother prepares dinner.  I think many milestones from this point out will be this way - without a date that can be "officially" recorded on a calendar.  I've already got a few stickers floating off in the margins; not being able to pinpoint an exact date of when something occurred - Discovers Toes???   Stands Alone????   2nd Tooth????    Not sure about some of those although I know they happened....

So the sticker for "Walks Alone" is dangling off to the side of mid-June.   He still crawls from time to time; after all, it is still the quickest way of getting from Point A to Point Momma.   But after a while, even that will fade away and new milestones will take the place.   It's bittersweet really.   But that is what growing up is all about....they can't stay babies forever (no matter how much we want them to!!) 

Here's a couple of videos to share how excited Nolan is about this new accomplishment!   You can just see the joy and pride on his face!    Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment